First try changing your phone to silent mode. Try taking a photo with the camera. If that didn't work then your phone's regional firmware probably doesn't allow silencing or disabling the camera sound so you'll need to read below.
Note: I do not endorse this but if this makes you happier with your Nokia S60 then it's worth it.
Warning: This involves updating your phone firmware so it's a risky procedure. Updating your phone is at your own risk.
- Installed Nokia Suite Software that came with your phone
- Installed European Nokia Software Updater
- Nokia USB Cable
First Part: Changing the product code on your S60 phone
Warning: This first part voids your Nokia warranty
Update 10/06/2008: 184.108.40.206 fixes a bug that prevented NSS from comunicating with the new Nokia Connectivity Cable driver
Download Nemesis Service Suite Beta
- Install NSS and restart computer
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable and set to PC Suite mode.
- Open nss software click on magnifying glass in top right.
- Click phone info and scan your phone just to make sure its connected
- To the right, click read to bring up your product data.
- Write down your product code.
- Change the product code one for EURO 1, 2, or 3 (see here for a listing of product codes for your S60 phone, I use EURO 3 - N82 RM-313 = 0551521) and check enable box then click on write.
- You must reset the phone in NSS software. Click on tools tab then factory settings tab.
- Check the full factory circle and click reset.
- Restart your phone (I don't think this step is necessary but let's do it just in case)
Second Part: Update Phone Firmware
- Update your phone as you normally do and remember never to turn off your computer or phone. And remember it's normal for the phone to blink a couple times. Don't do anything to it and don't run anything on your computer at the same time.
That's it! Try out your camera now.
I would suggest changing your phone's product code back to the original value using the first part of this, just in case.