Friday, September 05, 2008

Nokia 5610 XpressMusic Preview

The latest Nokia to join T-Mobile USA's portfolio is the Nokia 5610 XpressMusic. Sporting a similar design to the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic, the 5610 comes
red and white. I got a red one so it feels just like the 5310 I had for review but now in slider form. To think the 5610 is just the same 5310 in a new package would be wrong.



The 5610 has a 3.2MP camera with autofocus (no macro mode however), adds dual LED flash, loses the 3.5mm headset jack for a 2.5mm headset jack (I have NO idea why Nokia would do such a thing on a music oriented phone even though the 5610 is fat enough to fit the 3.5mm), and adds a gimicky slider on the front of the phone (allows you to switch to the music player and radio from anywhere).

The center key felt imprecise and the flush front keys felt spongy. The phone is light. The battery cover is thin, has a very flimsy latch system not typical of Nokia, and made with cheaper plastic. Considering most of the hand touches the battery cover, it's a bad place to put cheap plastic.


The little black square button between the microUSB and charger jack is the battery cover release.

There is a slight lag when navigating around the UI.

Finally a full game in a T-Mobile Nokia handset.

I just had to try this out. I really liked Guitar Hero and Rock Band on the Playstation 3 so I'm hoping I get a similar experience on my Nokia.
The graphics look grainy and dull but accurate to the screen shown in the ad. But it was just disappointing. The music was all done with MIDI (so retro and really bad) and it was very laggy. I stopped playing about half way through the first song.

I'm left very disappointed in the first hour of playing with the 5610. Although this phone is positioned higher than the 5310, I prefer the 5310 over this phone. Let's see if I'll grow to like this phone over the two weeks.

No comments: